Millions of Libyans who support the 1969 Al-Fateh Revolution are reportedly reorganizing themselves outside Libya in a movement that aims to live by the principles of the Jamahiriya as taught by Muammar Gaddafi.
In a statement published at za-kaddafi.ru on July 24, the Libyan People's National Movement (LPNM) describes itself as "an inclusive political movement that would encompass all Libyans who understand the terrible reality of Libya and insist that only through a genuine and radical change Libyans [can] avoid the danger of another civil war funded and maintained by foreign agendas."
The LPNM illustrates:
"The situation in Libya is becoming worse every day. With very little interest from international media many horrors take place in all parts of the country:
- systematic torture of prisoners;
- extra-judicial killings;
- armed tribal conflicts;
- economic and political foreign domination;
- robbing of national wealth;
- the reality of Al-Qaeda’s control of parts of the country
- the invention and establishing of fragmented regional and cross-border;
- identities to replace the national unifying identity;
- anti-black politics amongst the armed militias;
- the enforced displacements of whole tribes;
- the flight of a third of the population to neighbouring countries for fear of persecution.
In this atmosphere of horror, millions of Libyans who supported the late leader Muammar Gaddafi are being excluded from any real political solution in the country. They live under fear of retaliation and cannot exercise their civil rights or feel safe enough to oppose any decision taken by the militias or the weak central authorities in the country."
Following is a rough, summarized translation of the Arabic-language founding declaration of the Libyan People's National Movement:
Resolutions of the founding conference of the Libyan People's National Movement on the principles of the movement, its objectives, orientations, mechanisms and structure, and the regulatory and commissioning of leaders.
In the name of Allah, the Merciful,
- From national, legitimate and moral duty, in defense of the freedom, dignity and identity of the Libyan people and of Libya's independence, unity and sovereignty;
- And from rejection of foreign interference in Libyan affairs;
- And to preserve Libya of fragmentation, impoverishment and civil war, in order to restore stability, to maintain the achievements of our people, and to resume its march towards progress;
- And from our precious Libyan blood;
- And from a deep sense of the tragedy experienced by our people, and care for the rights of martyrs and victims, prisoners and detainees, displaced persons and refugees, the marginalized and the oppressed;
- [untranslatable] for the sacrifices made by the Libyan people in defense of freedom, the future of the nation and the message of Islam;
- In order to achieve justice, freedom and commitment to the principles of equality and human rights, for both Libyan men and Libyan women at home, and in particular the displaced in their own country and displaced abroad, and detainees who suffer the scourge of torture in detention overt and covert militias;
- In support of the political and social movement committed to fulfill ethic, democracy and inherent values;
- Exposing the attempts to polish the existing system on the power of the militias which is introduced as a democratic system;
- Contributing to the efforts of the faithful from the international community towards dialogue and stability, supporting the efforts of the national anthem which is part of regional and global peace, and reducing the consequences of turning our country into a failed state which also is a threat to the security of neighboring countries and the region, while adhering to the principle of independence and rejection of foreign domination and interference;
- Guided by the traditions of peaceful political struggle, and the balance of struggle of the Libyan people nationally and globally, the struggle against the invasion of the Italian fascist, gather for the precious sacrifices by the Libyans for the freedom, dignity and sovereignty of the homeland, which national and global struggle is inspired by the Al-Fateh Revolution of September 1969;
- To fight difference and fragmentation, and to support individual work during the national march to save the homeland;
- The confirmation of the need to consolidate the creative energies of Libyans towards the unity and security of Libya and its independence, keeping their role in achieving peace and security, regional and global levels.
The Libyan People's National Movement held a conference in the diaspora, in collaboration with the components inside Libya, after public meetings and special seminars, with the contribution of hundreds of leading figures in Libya, as a result of the activities of the Libyan people across the entire country and various segments, in an atmosphere of free discussion and democratic responsibility and awareness.
The Conference adopted a series of resolutions on which the Libyan People's National Movement is based:
- Maintain the territorial integrity of Libya, safety of its land and security of its people;
- Work on the release of all prisoners without exceptions;
- Treatment and compensation to all victims of war without exception;
- Create conditions and safeguard for the return of forcibly displaced people to their towns and villages;
- Building legislative, executive and judiciary institutions of the Libyan state, on the basis of peaceful democracy based on citizenship, without discrimination of ethnic or sectarian, regional or political belief;
- Restoring Libyan sovereignty, ending foreign interference and establishing an independent foreign policy;
- Rejecting policies of exclusion and marginalization, that differentiate between the components of the Libyan people;
- Dissolving armed militias, aiding former members to return to their previous jobs;
- Launching a reconstruction process of public and private properties destroyed during the war, without discrimination;
- Investigation of war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the war, forming courts with public and international control standards to decide on those issues;
- Ensure the full participation of the Libyan citizens, exercising their right to political decision-making, to choose its leaders and the political system in the ways of democracy, under a constitution approved by the Libyan people, without any tutelage or exclusion;
- Putting the Holy Quran and the Sunnah as the reference of legislation in Libya, away from extremism and fanaticism;
- Urging the international and regional organizations, NATO members and countries supporting them in the aggression to take full responsibility for the situation in Libya now, and for their legal violations and breaches of the Security Council decisions. (Source)
Mechanisms of action of the Libyan People's National Movement:
The movement seeks to serve the principles and achieve the objectives of effective mechanisms, including [summarized]:
- Seeking to address the results of the Libyan tragedy, by renouncing violence as a means to achieve the rights, and to achieve the demands;
- Seeking to start the healing process, and overcome the pain on personal and national levels, seeking the pursuit of a national dialogue between the components of the Libyan people, leading to genuine national reconciliation, based on tolerance and fairness;
- Seeking to develop the country democratically, intellectually, economically and culturally, also regionally and globally;
- Seeking to cooperate with the leaders of society in order to serve the Libyan case, and in respect of the needs of the various social groups in Libya, with the willingness to discuss any honest national projects;
- Seeking to realize and legalize a mass opposition to achieve its objectives within the framework of international conventions, and to enable the Libyan people to determine their own destiny.
The movement seeks to achieve this through the following means:
Raising awareness of the destruction of Libya and the need for a popular, peaceful movement at home and abroad, e.g. by demonstrations, conferences, seminars, sit-ins, and strengthening the activities of the community also on tribal, institutional and religious level, without marginalization or exclusion, in order to benefit from the social and cultural diversity of the Libyans.
Legalizing the struggle through regional and international organizations and institutions, community associations and international human rights organizations, exposing malpractice, and removing political, social and cultural distortion and falsification in Libya.
The establishment of research centers, the launch of video and audio stations, websites, and publications of all kinds, including allowing constant communication with the media, both local and international, to ensure the effective deployment of the initiative inside and outside Libya.
The conference issued the following documents:
- The political document of the movement;
- Statement of the establishment of the movement;
- The rules of procedure of the movement;
- Charter honor membership of the movement.
The organizational structure of the movement exists of the following levels:
- General Discussion
- General Conference
- Executive Committee
- Specialized Committees
- Office and foreign branches
The founding conference should choose a collective leadership, including the functions of the Secretariat, the Executive Committee, and Specialized Committees of the movement, which all should include elements of proven loyalty, honesty and courage both at home and abroad. The Conference adopted the method of collective action, and the rotation of the implementation of the administrative functions of the Secretariat and the various committees, according to the standards of democracy. The Conference entrusted to the Executive Committee of the movement the announcement of the names of the leaders of the movement, and to meet up with the needs of the members who struggle and suffer as a result of the policy of terrorism practiced by the current regime in Libya.
Dear Libyans of all tribes, in cities and villages and rural areas:
Regardless your interests and your opinions, we are facing a historic and decisive moment in the march of our people, and the future of our country, and the future of the future generations, so we invite you all to stand together and overcome all the differences, in order to defend the sovereignty of Libya, and the freedom, honor and dignity of its people, to contribute to healing the wounds of our people, to remove the effects of sedition, and to contribute to the launch of a new free Libya free, free from terrorism, oppression, injustice. Tribes, cities and villages should work together in an atmosphere of harmony and love, independent and safe, in order to let nobody interfere with our internal affairs, and to prevent enemies from plundering our wealth.
We aim to bury hatred forever and to rebuild Libya with our hands and our hearts.
Allah is the source of strength.
Peace be upon you together with Allah's mercy and blessings.
Information Committee of the Libyan People's National Movement.
14 Ramadan - Nasser 23, 1381. R. (2013)."